Once you arrive in Nepal for a tour, trekking, expedition, mountaineering or sightseeing, you often meet local Nepali people on the way who might not understand your general talking in English as English is a foreign language for most of the people in Nepal.
If you have a good guide and interpreter, they will deal with all kinds of situations. However, there are rare occasions, when you need to have an ordinary vocabulary of Nepali words or a few sentences that would help you to have interactions with the local people who may not know your English.
You also need to take care of local cultural values while speaking to them. So, here are a few of the simple words and conversational sentences that might support you while you are trapped in a difficult situation. That is either you have lost your trail or your guide or interpreters are not with you but you need to talk to the people to know something general about the culture, place and people or route.
Some don’t and do’s
- You should take off your shoes while entering any houses or temples.
- Ask for permission if you can enter the temples with shoes and belts.
- In some of the restricted areas, taking photos is prohibited. Even cameras are not allowed.
- Nepal people are very sociable. If you talk to them they will also talk to you.
- They will be ready to help you if you are in any trouble.
- Do not make a display of your love in public.
- The roads in Nepal are very narrow. You should walk on the pavement side to avoid any hustle.
Few words and short sentences in Nepali that can support you while in Nepal are given below.
|Nepali in Roman
|How are you?
|Tapailain Kasto chha?
|What is your name?
|Tapai ko nam ke ho?
|My name is Maria.
|Mero nam Maria ho.
|Hope to see you again
|Do you speak English?
|Ke Tapain angerejee boln saknuhunchha?
|Yes, I speak.
|Ho, ma angrejee bolchhu
|I can speak Nepali a little
|Ma ali ali Nepali bolchhu
|Where are you going?
|I want to change money.
|Ma paisa satna chahanchhu
|Can I take a photo?
|Ke ma euta tasbeer khichhana sakchhu?
|Can you take my photo?
|Mero tasbeer khichna saknu hunchha?
|You are welcome
|Tapailai Swagat chha
|I lost my way
|Maile bato biraye
|Malai Sahayog gara
|I don’t know
|Malai thaha chhaina
|Malai tha chha
Kathmandu: Stakeholders have expressed concern over the proposed Trishuli hydropower proje…