Home home featured Hundreds of mountaineers awaiting favourable weather to scale Mt Everest
May 5, 2023

Hundreds of mountaineers awaiting favourable weather to scale Mt Everest

  • CB Adhikari
Everest Base Camp
Several team members of the Everest expedition would have fixed ropes on their way to the world’s tallest peak today if the weather was clear.

But it did not happen due to an unfavorable weather in the Everest region for almost a week. The skilled workers on rope fixing known as icefall doctors are having hard times to reach the atop of Mt Everest, according to Imagine Nepal Trek and Expedition Company — a company assigned to mark a track from the second camp.

Expedition companies have said that the icefall doctors have already fixed rope upto the South col (the fourth camp) of Mt Everest.

Expedition begins only after the icefall doctors fix the rope upto the peak. Imagine Nepal’s Executive Director Dawa Gyalgen Sherpa told RSS that rope fixing job for today is cancelled.

At present, 400 plus Nepalis and foreigners of the expedition teams are waiting for the clear weather to scale the world’s tallest mountain.

They are not in the base camp and the second camp of Mt Everest. It is said that the airspeed in the site is 35 to 40 kms per hour while snowfall is taking also taking place there.

The Tourism Department has opened a liaison office to monitor and facilitate the Everest expedition.

The liaison office under the convenership of Khimlal Gautam include the officials from the Tourism Ministry, security personnel from Nepali Army, Nepal Police, Himalaya Rescue Association and local representatives.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Chaiti Chhath concludes offering ‘argha’ to rising sun

The devotees on fast since the completion of the ‘Kharna’ ritual on Saturday n…